Microchannel plates (MCPs) are a class of electronic products consisting of millions of ultra-tiny channel electronic multipliers (СEMs) that are virtually identical in their characteristics. These devices are designed to work in vacuum for multichannel detection and amplification of spatially organized fluxes of charged particles and radiation.
A typical microchannel plate (MCP) is a glass disk consisting of a microchannel substrate and a solid rim border. A distinctive feature of MCPs and MCP-detectors is their high sensitivity to electron flux, ions, fast response resulting from the short (subnanosecond) electron transit time, and low dark count density.
Possible applications for MCPs include:
- diagnostic, monitoring, and control systems for charged particle beams at accelerators
- medical nuclear diagnosis and treatment instruments
- devices for non-destructive inspection and analysis of substances in semiconductor, food-processing, pharmaceutical industries, toxicological and drug control
- systems for oil and gas exploration, atomic analysis of metals and alloys
- photon counting detectors for space research systems
Baspik supplies a wide range of microchannel plates developed on the basis of proprietary technology to Russian and foreign markets. MCPs can also be custom made according to overall dimensions and other requirements of the customer.
The company has developed a range of open-type MCP detectors, vacuum ultraviolet and X-ray detectors. VTC Baspik also manufactures photon-counting PMTs which have the advantage of fast response and gain, increased surface area, low power consumption, and stable operation under the exposure to magnetic fields.
Another product line includes channeltrons which are reliable and effective detectors of positive and negative ions as well as electrons and photons. These products are used in mass spectrometry applications for fast informative analysis of chemical and biological compounds of any kind of complexity: from chemical elements to biopolymers. Application devices include quadrupole mass spectrometers and ion trap mass spectrometers.
The company produces various structures based on microchannel technology which consist of regularly packed microchannel arrays:
- polycapillary slides for microfluidics (microwell and microcapillary slides)
- collimators for the detection of large organic molecules (DNA, etc.), in biosensors of various types, for ultradisperse biological molecules and nanoparticles filtration, for thin-film batteries production
- spherically bent microchannel plates for vacuum ultraviolet spectroscopy
- fiber-optic plates